Saturday, September 19, 2009

Q and A

I am starting this blog so that friends and loved ones can read about my big adventure. So here I go.

I am moving to New York City! That's the basic fact and I get a lot of questions about it that I will try and answer as best I can. Just so you know, I'm not a particularly gifted writer, and I don't have a lot of answers. But I will try.

Why are you moving now?

I have been living at home, in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia since I graduated from college in 2005. After graduation my mother became very ill and needed help around the house and since I didn't yet have a job I was happy to help. Mom and I are great roommates and I love living with her. I love my home, I love Virginia. In 2006 I found an amazing job as a teacher at an early learning center and excelled at that. I learned so much! Around Christmastime 2007 my mom became ill again and needed me even more than she had before. She lost the use of her legs and from then until April of 2009 she needed almost constant care. I was again very happy to help and be here for her. My wonderful and fulfilling job, unfortunately, didn't pay enough for me to live elsewhere so I stayed. It wasn't an easy time and during the winter of 2009 I made a decision that once mom was better I was going to try and do something else.

Are you moving alone??

No. My best friend and partner in crime Laura has just finished her two year service in the Peace Corps and that is another part of why now. She and I are embarking on this adventure together.

Where are you going?

We are moving to New York City.

WHY NEW YORK??

Why not? We are looking for adventure and want to live where the life is. Its very expensive and moderately far from Virginia but we are young, adventurous, curious about the world and its people, single and we don't have any children.

NEW YORK CITY??

Yes.

Are you crazy?

That's debatable.

Where will you live?

I don't know. We are looking for places in the Brooklyn area. We haven't found a place to live yet.

Where will you work?

I don't know. I have a fantastic resume and some great references though. Do you have any leads?

Do you want another job in the childcare field?

Maybe but probably not. I loved my job. I was good at it and it made me happy. Sadly that kind of work is really low paid and there's not a lot of room for advancement. I wouldn't mind a job that deals with kids on an administrative level, like working for a non-profit for literacy or advocacy. I also might work in a portrait studio. I also might mop floors. It all depends on what jobs are available.

Will you miss me?

Very very much. Please come and visit us!

I hope that helps everyone. Any other questions feel free to ask.

3 comments:

  1. I will miss you and I know that Mama will too, however I think it is fantastic that I will now have a sister in the big apple!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you and excited for you that you are making this huge change in your life. I will also miss you very, very, VERY much! But we won't talk about that right now 'cause I might cry, ok? I love you, Katy! You are my bra. What in the world am I gonna do without my bra? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy-
    I am SO excited that you have started this BLOG! You answered SO many of my questions-how did you read my mind?? :) I really look forward to reading all about your adventures and encourage you to continue to follow your heart! If you don't do it now--then when, right? :) I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and opportunities present themselves when you least expect it-so keep your eyes and ears open. Take care, be safe, & watch out for the Cash Cab!
    Love ya-Melissa

    ReplyDelete