Friday, April 16, 2010

Moving to Brooklyn

No, not me. I already live here.

Laura DeWitt is in the process of moving from Queens to Brooklyn. I have been helping her and let me tell you, things haven't been easy! I agreed to meet her Tuesday to clean the apartment with her but when we got there we found that the electricity wasn't on. Besides being dark, the apartment had construction dirt everywhere. The walls were covered with a thick coat of dust and there were drops and smears of caulk and plaster in the brand new tub, kitchen sink, on the new tile and on the floors and windows. We cleaned a little in what light was left but then gave up and ate the cupcakes I brought.

Then yesterday I was going to meet her at 3 but before I left the house the bank called to tell me my atm card had been compromised and the only way I could get to my money was to go into the bank and withdraw some cash. Finally I got over to Laura's apartment but the power STILL was not on and it was already getting dark. By now she was getting REALLY frustrated and was playing phone tag with everyone on earth. I told her I was available all day today and to call me and I could even be at her apartment to let the electricians in.

This morning she texted me to let me know she had taken the day off work. She has movers scheduled for tomorrow and needed to have the apartment ready, with clean floors and power, for her things to be put in it and for her to stay there. I got there first and went to the dollar store and bought a sponge mop and a big bottle of Mr. Clean. I was determined to get that coating of dust off the walls before nightfall, power or no. Laura arrived and soon after the super and electricians came in. I mopped the floors and walls of the bathroom and then cleaned the kitchen cabinets. All the cabinets and fixtures in the apartment are brand new and very nice but everything is covered in this plaster dust and caulk. Its awful and it stinks for Laura that they didn't clean the thing before renting it to her. After the electricians left we realized that they had fixed the power, for ONE of the light fixtures and ONE of the outlets. So we could see what were doing, in the hallway and we could plug in the stereo. And that's it. The electricians never came back while we were there but we did get very much of the apartment cleaned and Laura had to head home to pack.

She is off to a rough start, but I hope Laura loves her new apartment in my same borough. From now on she'll only be TWO subway stops AWAY! I'm very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment