Sunday, June 6, 2010

Missed Opportunity?

The other evening I was coming home from work on a downtown 1 train, sitting across from the doors when the train stopped at 72nd St. A girl got on there and the logo on her shirt caught my eye. It was a generic enough looking logo, circular with some mountains and a stream running between the peaks, but my first thought was that the mountains looked like home. I was a little surprised then, when I read the text beneath the logo and it said Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, Virginia. The girl sat down right next to me, she was drinking a coffee and playing with her iPhone and did not have headphones on. I wanted so badly to say something to her. To ask her where and how she got the shirt, if she'd visited Skyline Drive or even if she was from home but the train car was small and close and she wasn't paying any attention to me to make starting that conversation anything but awkward. I sat there next to her struggling with what to do and then the doors opened at 50th street and she got off. Its been bugging me for days and I expect I might not soon forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment