Monday, August 2, 2010

Alphabet City

Yesterday after work I traveled waaaaay down to the East Village to help my very very good friend Sarah move into her new Manhattan apartment! She and my friend Rachel are going to be living in Alphabet City which is a neighborhood I had previously never visited. Its very diverse, interesting and full of young people. Maybe too many young people. When did I become an old crank? When groups of college-aged people walk by me why do I find myself grumbling things about 'kids'? It worries me.

Sarah's parents were there and we all unloaded the truck and put her things in her new place. Its a nice place, the neighborhood feels comfortable and they have a huge street-side fire escape so you can sit out there and actually see something other than a train.

After all the moving we got pizza around the corner and then Sarah's parents left to get back to Long Island before it got to be too late. I stayed with Sarah and took her to a nearby liquor store and treated her to a bottle of bottled sangria, a new favorite guilty pleasure of mine. We sat on her new fire escape, outside her new, fabulous room in New York City, and sipped spicy sweet sangria.

Afterward I got so lost trying to find the subway I had to get a taxi because I was somewhere beneath the Williamsburg bridge and there were NO people anywhere around. But that adventure ended fine too.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you SOOOOOO much for coming over and helping me!! And the sangria on the fire escape was the best ending to the day. So glad we'll both be here for a few months!!

    ReplyDelete