Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sweet Music and a Boardwalk Breeze

Thursday I had to work and knew I wanted to meet up with Sarah for another free concert down at Coney. This time we were going to get to see John Legend who I absolutely love! Problem was: the concert started, all the way down at Coney, at 7:30pm and I had to work, way up on the Upper West Side, until 7. I tried and tried to arrange it so we could meet and fly down but I found out no cameras allowed and I had my camera and didn't want to leave it at work. So I had to take the train to my neighborhood, meet Sarah, drop my camera off at my apartment and then get back on a train to Coney Island.

We got on a B train at 8 and only when it stopped three stops early did I remember that the B train doesn't even go all the way to Coney. I felt like this excursion was doomed and it was all my fault and was already working on making the best of it with Sarah, discussing how it was a free show so its not like we lost any money on tickets and we could at least get a cold drink and enjoy the ocean and Coney for a moment even if we missed all of John Legend.

We got off at Brighton Beach and began to walk down the boardwalk toward Coney. We started to hear to concert and came to a small gathering on the boardwalk. The concert itself was in a park across Surf Ave from the Coney Island Boardwalk, but you could see and hear everything PERFECTLY from our position above. bout 15 people had spread blankets out on the boards or were sitting on the park benches backward watching. We decided instead of heading down to the crowded concert, to just sit here and watch whatever was left of the show from here. Well a lot of the show was left and the atmosphere of the small, layed-back boardwalk crowd was wonderful. We had the ocean behind us, terrific music in front of us and people singing and dancing along. Passers by stopped to see what the gathering was all about and then either joined us or moved on and the group was so diverse, comprised of older folks and families with children. From our position we could hear the crowd sing along with the music at times and that was sweet. It was the most perfect way to see a concert ever!
After the show we headed to Nathan's Famous boardwalk stand for food and sat on a picnic table nearby to eat it. Then we caught our respective trains back home. I'm very glad the night didn't turn out the way I'd planned it because it turned out way better!

No comments:

Post a Comment