Saturday, November 7, 2009

Deep Fryday!

Yesterday afternoon my friend Sarah of Funemployment Brooklyn hosted Deep Fryday. The idea was to come over to her apartment with something you'd like to try and deep fry and she would provide the drinks. Of course I had to take oreos. When I got there it was Sarah and her friend Samantha. They had gone all the way to Target to get a Turkey fryer but after assembling it realized they'd need a propane tank. We decided to try deep frying on the stove instead.

Homemade Fries

First we made sweet potato fries and then regular french fries. They were delicious! I never knew I could make french fries so easily. Then we used the internet to find a recipe for crispy fry batter and mixed it up. We used the batter to coat some onion rings and then some asparagus. Wow was that asparagus good too! Finally we fried some brie because Sarah had had that once and loved it. It was pretty fantastic.

Onion Rings

By this time Laura was getting off work so she headed over and we started to mix up funnel cake batter. When Laura got there we started a new pan of oil for sweets and used the batter to fry oreos, twix bars, coffee beans and sweet tarts. The last one was just for science. The oreos were perfect and the twix was amazing too. We used the last of the batter to make a little funnel cake and then we were all really full of greasy food. Mmmm. It was so fun and delicious. Now that I know how I feel like I would like to deep fry everything I eat. We had a good time talking and Sarah and I realized we both love Girl Talk and made plans to go see him in concert if he is ever close by. Sarah and Laura realized they both love Top Shop and we made plans to go to the new New York one today. Yay for new friends and fried things.


As always: more photos are up on my Kodak Gallery. Just use the link in the upper right of the blog.

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! I hate frying things though cause it is so messy. I'd like to try DF asparagus though! and you forgot TOTS!

    ReplyDelete