Friday, November 6, 2009

I'm More Than Empty Boxes!

Today I had a one-day assignment at Prada. I was assembling empty boxes meant to resemble large heavy books for a book launch party they are having. Unlike my last empty box job though, I got to work with others today. There were six other temps sent from my same agency and two interns working on the same project. They stuffed the eight of us, as well as the four thousand unassembled boxes into a fitting room. Granted the fitting rooms at Prada are bigger than our Brooklyn kitchen, but it was still a tight fit. The task itself was mindless and of course I cut my finger on a box, but I got to spend lots of time talking to new people and it wasn't a bad day at all. The two interns were international: Jay from South Korea and a quiet young lady from Romania who didn't spend much time with the rest of us. Dusti and Paul and Michael were aspiring actors and they exchanged lots of tips on getting jobs and auditions and managers and agents. Dusti moved here from Alabama two weeks ago and was the most outgoing of any of us. It was great for me because she asked everyone all the questions I wanted answered and I got to just sit back and listen. Trent just moved here because his wife got into Columbia. He went to school to study interior design and was really excited about the design in the store. Dylan did not want to be our friend or talk to us and he put his iPod on and peaced out pretty quickly after we got our instructions, but I did get out of him that he was from Sterling, VA. Later on I told everyone about Sheetz. They didn't understand. Someday though, they'll be driving down the coast and they'll see that sign on the Gas Exit XXX and they'll stop and then they'll know.

At the end of the day everyone went home but I got to stay a little late and put necks on the mannequins. People there were very very very fancy. It was fascinating eaves dropping for me.

I came home tired and sore and cranky but not for long! The UPS man came at 8pm with presents! I got Elvis Pajamas from Jake's Grandma, a new rolly cart from Mama but best of all: Mama also sent me a COFFEE MAKER!!! Hooray hooray hooray! I'm saved.

Laura came home and we watched Grey's Anatomy.

No work tomorrow it looks like. Hope I get something good next week. I hope I don't only get jobs involving empty boxes. There's so much more to me than that, right?

2 comments:

  1. It just sounds so cool that you are working for name brand places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at Walmart yesterday on a crazy shopping trip with my 2 little loveys and saw something that made me think of you. An orange coffee pot, toaster and iron set. (three seperate items, not one miraculous machine to do it all. lol) You could also get them in lime green. If you hadn't told me your mom got the coffee pot for you, I was going to buy it for you. But nope...I've got something else instead. Excuse the awkward shape of one item. I tried to wrap it up all fancy to make up for it but it was hard to wrap this crazy shaped item! I've got it all boxed up and hope to get it to the post office today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete