Sunday, November 1, 2009

It Doesn't Get Any Better.

Friday night Courtney, Laura and I went to a club called Mercury on the Lower East side to see Harper Simon perform. I had seen an ad on facebook or myspace about the show and thought it would definitely be worth the $15 tickets to see Paul Simon's son live. We got there during the opening act, a band with horns called The Americans. When they finished their set we started scoping out the crowd, just in case Paul Simon might have come out to support his son. We didn't have to search long; he was sitting five feet behind me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The three of us immediately began to freak out. After 90 seconds of gasping and giggling but trying to still look calm and cool I decided we'd have to go and shake his hand. Then we had to gasp and squeal silently another 30 seconds. Finally I walked right over to Paul Simon, who was seated on a bench against the side wall, with his younger son sitting beside him, wearing black and a black leather fedora, and shook his hand. I said, 'Hi, I'm Katy. I'm a really big fan. Thank you. Then I stepped aside and Laura and Courtney shook his hand too. We returned to our standing spots five feet away and freaked out for a few more minutes. Then we went and bought ourselves some beers. After that Harper came on to perform.

The music was really good. I'm pretty sure I was standing there savoring this amazing moment in my life when I looked over and noticed a small woman moving into the front row to stand next to Courtney. She was wearing a top hat and sunglasses and she turned and handed her belongings to a young man standing behind her. Her body guard. It was Yoko Ono. Standing directly beside Courtney who was standing directly beside me was Yoko Ono. For real. No joke. I began to hyperventilate. I had my hand over my heart and was standing there with Paul Simon right behind me, his son playing pretty music on the stage, and Yoko Ono dancing beside my friend Courtney from camp. Yoko was very happy to be there, smiling and dancing with her top hat and her sunglasses. She kept smiling at us three girls so after a few songs I waved a little and said hi. Yoko happily waved and said hi back. At the end of the next song I reached around Courtney and shook her hand and said 'Hi, I'm Katy.' She said hi back but before Courtney and Laura could shake her hand somebody elbowed in and took over. We stood next to her and danced and enjoyed the rest of the set. Unbelievable.

After his set, Harper Simon and Yoko pose for a photo.

After Harper's performance I had to go outside and call everyone in my family. On the way back in I hugged the bouncer. This is certainly the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me.

Yesterday Laura and I went for groceries and cleaned the apartment. On our way back from the store we saw tons of Trick or Treaters in the neighborhood. On Church Ave they had a DJ in the Verizon store and the kids were trick or treating at all the stores. It was really cool and there were so many cute kids. We walked back on Marlborough, the street across the tracks from our windows with the huge mansions. Some of the houses were decorated and the street was FULL of kids and parents. At the house directly behind ours there were tons of people in the yard. Once a group of kids gathered in the yard, a man dressed as Leatherface would come around the house with a chainsaw fired up and all the kids would scream and run. It was hilarious. We heard the chainsaw from our apartment windows for the rest of the evening, followed by the screaming and it was funny every time.

Jake came for my birthday and he got here around 7. I took him to Picket Fence and we had a nice dinner. Then we came back to the apartment and did Karaoke with Laura until the early morning.

Today is my BIRTHDAY! HOORAY! Laura went to the New York Marathon this morning but Jake and I slept in. Then I got my presents from him. He got me a shiatsu back massaging pillow with heat! AND a chocolate fondue fountain!!!!!!! WHAT? I have the best boyfriend ever. A massager and a chocolate FOUNTAIN! Laura and I just had strawberries dipped in hot melted chocolate.

We're going to try and find some decent cheese fries and wings tonight for my birthday dinner.

2 comments:

  1. *sigh* jake IS the best boyfriend ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah suggested that I check out your blog. Congrats on your birthday and on wrestling Brooklyn into submission. Did your training at Roanoke contribute to your sucess?
    John P.

    ReplyDelete