Monday, November 30, 2009

Its a Brand New Day

I am back in Brooklyn after my Thanksgiving break. The week before I left was pretty hard for me emotionally so I wasn't able to blog. I had a rejuvenating few days at home. Mom and Jake were very supportive and encouraging and although I may have begged and cried they got me back on the bus to NY. Now that I'm back I'm feeling good and ready to start again with a good attitude about finding a job and having my New York adventure.

Last week besides feeling sorry for myself I had a two-day temp assignment for Clinique. The offices were amazing. They were on the 37th floor in the same building as CBS and FAO Swartz, right across from The Plaza. My job was to read press releases that come in any time the company name is published. I think that means my blog will be on the desk of some other temp in about a year. It was entertaining and I got to see CBS taping the Early Show each morning outside.

View from the window at Clinique

Also early last week I decided to look up the options for scrapbooking and crafting clubs and stores in the area as I always feel better when I'm being creative. I ended up finding a portrait studio/scrapbooking store in Manhattan. Thinking that that sounded like a business hand made for me I sent them an e mail saying I was an avid scrapbooker and photographer specializing in children and would love to send them a resume or small portfolio of my work. I send these e mails to businesses often and never get any response except a few regrets e mails now and then, so I didn't expect much. The e mailed me back and wanted to schedule an interview for Tuesday!! I couldn't believe it. I don't even HAVE an actual portfolio or any professional photo experience. Laura and I sat Monday night picking out the best of the pictures I had taken at my last job and while I was working Tuesday she picked up a pack of 8x10s at Target and a black folder. I went to the interview not even knowing what to expect. I think it went really well. They introduced me to the owners and gave me the run down on what my job would be like and even gave me a tour. They said they'd be excited to have some more people on staff that were interested in scrapbooking AND photography as a lot of the photographers they had weren't as excited about crafts. They said they'd get in touch with me this week. I can't believe it and don't want to get to excited until I hear for sure but what a fantastic opportunity this could be. I'd be a professional photographer in NYC!!

In case that doesn't pan out I have a week + assignment lined up through one of the agencies for next week. So for now I'll try to just relax and enjoy myself. Contrary to how I sounded at home yesterday I am feeling good about being in Brooklyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment