Thursday, October 29, 2009

Suprise Art

I finished my assignment and am without work again. I spent a day and a half packing boxes with empty product boxes for Estee Lauder. It was not boring and I was happy to be at work for at least a little while.

Today I got a hair cut in Manhattan, using a special discount card we bought as a promotion from a new salon that is looking for clients. Its not fantastic but maybe it just takes getting used to. Then I used an Old Navy gift card I got from one of my parents at work to buy a new shirt for my birthday. Thanks! I also came home and cleaned the apartment and hung some pictures in my room.

I'm feeling really discouraged and am just trying to keep busy. I signed on to an employment website last night and applied for a job at NYU. Other than that I just don't know what else to do. Today I was looking through photos and saw a picture of one of the kids in my old class. Looking behind him though I could see a bulletin board I had worked really hard on and my language board and I burst into tears. Its so far away and I can't believe sometimes after those years of hard hard work and love I left it behind. It wasn't always easy to work there but I sure miss it sometimes. Feeling like I was good at something and needed and appreciated. Now I just feel useless and lame. My apartment sure is clean though.

Here's something interesting and not depressing though: I live on the Q line of the subway and I noticed something fascinating a few weeks ago. If you get on a train that is heading to Manhattan and sit on the inside side, facing so that when you cross the Manhattan Bridge the Brooklyn Bridge is behind you, and you look out the windows after you go through the DeKalb Ave station, before the bridge, there's an illuminated animated cartoon painted on the wall of the tunnel. The train passing it makes it be animated, like a flip book and it goes pretty quick so I had to remember to watch for it a few times before I saw the whole thing. Sometimes the train slows because of congestion and then you can really see it but most times its over in a flash. Anyway today I finally remembered to google it and found out its an art installation called The Masstransiscope! That's something I really love about the Subway. So many surprises like buskers doing any imaginable kind of performance or music or unexpected artwork.

I guess that's why I'm here. A change of pace and the potential for surprises in my daily life.

1 comment:

  1. I remember those animated things! They have them on the PATH train as well! Very cool and surprising. Stuff like that always makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete