Sunday, May 30, 2010

Lightship Frying Pan

Oh the joys of a Holiday weekend. One where I didn't have to beg, borrow and steal to get free time is even better! Laura and my good friend Prospect from our RC days came to visit all the way from Ohio and we have been very busy. Friday we intended to go see the Statue of Liberty, but when we got there the weather was gross and the line was very very long. There was a street show nearby and Laura got roped into being jumped over by street performers so that was pretty terrific. We will try again for Lady Liberty on Monday morning.
Laura, about to be jumped, in the street show.

We decided to head to midtown instead, to see Laura's friend Jessica, also from RC, who recently moved to the city. Jessica's apartment has a terrific balcony and we sat out there all afternoon, drinking wine and watching the Sailors and Marines walk back and forth. It is Fleet Week in Manhattan. After drinking we went to Five Napkin Burger for supper, but I don't have eating out money so I just got an order of 'Tater Tots' which turned out to be some sort of potato fritter hushpuppy and nothing like the things you are thinking of.
Wine in the afternoon on Jessica and Peter's balcony

Afterward we headed home. Laura and Prospect went to 773 but I decided to go home as I don't have beer money either.

I had to work today, which was no fun. After that I felt gross and ugly but Laura was texting that she and Prospect were at a restaurant in Korea Town and headed to an explorable boat park. I didn't know we had a Korea Town here! I met them at the restaurant and we headed to 26th and 12th. This location was familiar to me, as you may remember, from Cinco De Mayo. Remember when I tried to meet Rachel at an address that turned out to be out in the Hudson River. I knew it was a bar but it turned out to be so much more!

The Lightship Frying Pan is a party boat, docked on the Hudson. Its a barge, a lightship and, right now, a fire boat, kind of hitched together and used as a bar. If you haven't yet you really should click the link and read about it because guess what: it USED to be SUNKEN and they pulled it back up and now its a bar! Go look! I'll wait. Ok welcome back. So the weird thing is there you are on a formerly sunken ship/rust bucket/bar which is just crazy but very cool, but everyone else acts like its totally normal. People all over the boats were just sitting, drinking, talking, being regular, but we were on a rusty creaky, creepy, formerly sunken boat. Laura, Prospect and I combed the whole place and it was really freaky and wonderful. A floating scary basement, and we all know how I feel about scary basements!
Scary jars with things suspended in liquids, for no reason evident to anybody

Of course, every formerly sunken boat bar needs a bootleg piano

...and a DJ booth!

...and a caboose?!?

After that we headed home to recoup before embarking on a totally AWESOME second half of Memorial Day Weekend by going down to Coney!

No comments:

Post a Comment