Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Adam's First NYC Experience

Picking up where I left off the other day: My brother arrived Thursday evening while my sister was still here and we had a nice little surprise family reunion. Poor Laura: all three Bennetts in our tiny apartment. Friday I had to work so Adam and Sarah met up to hang out in Sarah's new RV. While I was at work I had a pretty heinous allergic reaction to the pain medicine I was given for my back. I took a bunch of Benadryl so by the time my shift was almost over I was looking pretty terrible, still itching and spaced-out.

Adam and Sarah parted company out in Jersey and Sarah and Andrew headed home to Virginia while Adam headed uptown to meet me. We first headed to Five Napkin Burger for lunch, which was delicious! After this we started down Central Park West on foot. As we walked along Adam was amazed at the tall buildings and architecture. We came up to a sign for the New York Historical Society's exhibit about the Grateful Dead. Adam wanted to go in so we paid our admission and headed in. Adam loved it. New York was really agreeing with him so far.

After the exhibit I got a soda and we were about to head around the block when I fell. The sidewalks in this fancy neighborhood are marble-smooth and there was a leaking trash bag on the corner and the next think I knew I was on my back and everyone around was shouting. It did not feel good and didn't help my back at all. Also, that soda I had just bought was all over me, I had garbage grease goo all over my butt and everyone was looking. Not cool. I did my best to shake off the embarrassment and the shock of falling and checked for injuries. I didn't find anything hurt besides my pride so we continued down the street.

I didn't tell Adam but we were headed straight toward The Dakota. Adam is the family's biggest Beatles fan, which is saying a lot for him. He was admiring the neighboring building as we approached when I finally indicated what was ahead of him. He was blown away. We took a ton of pictures and looked at the building and neighborhood for a while. Next I took him into Central Park to Strawberry Fields. We had our picture taken there and then did some fun people watching. Finally I was still feeling terrible from all the medicines and the fall and dragged him home to Brooklyn.


Saturday we got up and headed to the Brooklyn Brewery in Williamsburg. We took a free tour and bought beer tokens to try some of the beers. Adam got a t shirt and we watched all the hipsters interacting in their habitat. Afterward we headed home for supper and then went to 773 for the evening. I was ready to turn in after a little while but Adam wanted to stay. We ended up staying pretty late.


Sunday was the 4th of July and we ended up spending a slow morning getting up and getting started. We watched the Hot Dog Eating contest on TV and didn't head out to Coney Island until late afternoon. The first stop once we arrived was the cool historical project exhibit. On this day some older gentlemen were manning the booth and the recommended I look at a book they were selling called Coney Island Lost and Found. The book looked amazing and both of them had their pictures within. They even hinted that the author was about and might sign it for me if they could get ahold of him. How could I resist? I bought the book and had them sign their respective pages. It was really hard to resist the urge to find a shady spot and begin reading it right there.

After that Adam and I headed to Nathans and got delicious food. Adam loved his hot dog and I am always happy to eat a Nathan's corn dog. Next we had our Wonder Wheel ride. I was happy that Adam seemed to love it almost as much as I did! From up there you could see the hordes of people on the beach and in the parks. It was cool and breezy and a lovely view of Coney Island in all directions. Adam even carried his beer from Nathan's along, a special thrill for him. Gotta love Coney Island, right?


After this we walked the packed boardwalk and took our ride on the Cyclone. Holy hell they had it turned up EXTRA fast or something. I was beaten UP, and combined with my fall from the other day and my delicious Nathan's food I felt not that great after that. We walked through Luna and then found a pretty great spot on the beach for fireworks. I sat and read my book some and we both watched the crowd. We sat there a long time and after dark and a little longer it became evident that there weren't going to be any fireworks. Around 10pm everybody just kind of got up and left so we did too. We were both pooped out anyway.

Monday we got up a bit earlier because we had tickets to the NBC Experience tour at 30 Rockefeller Plaza! We got there in plenty of time and after a hot dog stand lunch we were ready for our tour. The tour was really cool. We got to see Dr Oz's studio, Jimmy Fallon's studio and the studio where they shoot Saturday Night Live each week. We liked it a lot, the only bad thing was NO PICTURES. I was not happy. I was cheered, slightly, when they showed us a film that contained clips of Shaun White and Michael Phelps winning Olympic Medals.

After the tour I ran down some options of things we could do with the rest of the day that were inexpensive and Adam chose the High Line. We headed South and West to Chelsea and took a nice stroll there. Then it was in to VYNL for supper and air conditioning. Then to Union Square and a quick stop at The Strand before it was time to get back to our apartment to straighten up before Laura returned from her weekend trip.

Today Adam is on his way back to Florida. I think he had a terrific time. He was taking pictures on his Blackberry every other moment and happily updating things all along the way. I'm glad his first visit to the city was fun and that I could be there for it, especially seeing the Dakota and Strawberry Fields for the first time.

Its 102 degrees here in Brooklyn so for the rest of the day I'll be sitting very still and experiment with our freezer's ice-making capacity. Hope you are somewhere cool.

Here is a link to the book I bought too!

No comments:

Post a Comment