Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Treasures in Cobble Hill

Today I saw a new neighborhood in Brooklyn, AND got some free stuff! An old friend (and former camp counselor, naturally) was in town going through things in her late Grandmother's home in Cobble Hill today, and invited me to meet her for lunch.

Kim was my counselor at camp in 1997 and her Grandmother was a bit of a hoarder. The house where she lived had been in Kim's family since it was built in the 1800s. There were two stories to the apartment and a store beneath that was an Ice Cream shop in the 50s and is now a high-end women's clothing store. Kim's been up there working for days in 100+ degree heat and no AC. I was happy to come help out and was promised I could have any cast-iron cookware or cookbooks I liked.

I didn't find any cast iron but I did get a pressure cooker, a set of dishes, a set of baking pans, a set of canisters and an edition of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook from the '50s.

Cobble Hill was a really interesting and happening little neighborhood and since I was bringing so much home Kim drove me which is always a treat. Too bad about the cast-iron though. Now we'll just see what happens when Laura gets home and sees this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment