Saturday, July 10, 2010

Meeting Andrea

Today I met a new friend. It was a kind of international introduction so to begin with I'd have to tell you about my dear friend Gee.
Gee in 1999

To know Gee is definitely to love him, and I'm not just being effusive. He's hilarious and wonderful and has always been there for me. We met in 1999 when I worked at camp. Most of the other international staff were cool, but they tended to keep to themselves. Gee was always in the thick of it with us crazy American kids. He is a lot of fun and terribly funny in a very European, dry, deadpan way.

To truly appreciate Gee you must hear him speak. His accent is wonderful and the things he says can knock you out. I can imitate it a little but nothing is the same as hearing him call me Little Girl in that thick Hungarian accent.

Gee has a pirate tattoo and he likes small things. Once we were all down by the lake lying on our various beach towels and Gee came and spread out what amounts to a tea-towel on the grass. We all laughed and asked Gee what the story was on his tiny towel. Gee looked at us with disgust and said "I am not a big man. I do not need a big towel." Point taken.

Anyway a while back Gee told me he was sending me a present. A post-modern book that he knew I would love. He was sending the book via his friend Andrea who was moving from Brussels to New York City to attend Columbia.

Shortly after this I began e mailing with Andrea but she was so busy with school we weren't able to meet until today. She is so super nice and interested in exploring the city and trying new things, which is right up my ally. She also asked if I would take her to Coney Island. Um. Yes. Will I ever! How exciting!

Here is the book Gee sent:



No comments:

Post a Comment