Thursday, July 22, 2010

Coney Island Art Reception

So word has kind of gotten out that I adore Coney Island. I certainly don't mind it when people associate me with my favorite thing about New York. So many nights I get off the train at my stop and think about how nice it would be to stay on and go all the way down to the breezy beach and watch the Wonder Wheel turn in the dark. But I usually just come to bed and get on Facebook. I need more friends with weekdays off like I have.

Anyways my good friend Laura DeWitt heard about an art project taking place at Coney last weekend and immediately thought of me. The father of one of the students she's had as an NYC public school teacher was doing an art installation/project in which he put large canvasses on the boardwalk at Coney and invited passers by to help make them into art. You really must click the link and read more about it. Anyway people were encouraged to drive radio-controlled cars through paint on the canvases, jump and dance, use toys like balls, jump ropes and koosh balls to spread paint on the canvasses. One woman even used her hair, which was weird to read about.

So I was in Virginia this weekend and missed it. Laura had texted me to invite me but I couldn't go because I was away. Tonight though, the art was dry and hanging in the Brooklyn studio of Laura's former student's father and he had a little opening reception. I got to meet him and his family, talk to his collaborator, and see all the paintings. Also his son Sam, Laura's former student at Laguardia, is now majoring in film and made a short documentary film about the project. This way, even though I didn't get to be there I could see how these wonderful paintings got to be.

The whole thing was AMAZING. I thought the artwork was cool and accessible and the means by which it was made are great. The whole project was inclusive and fun and the artists were SO warm and welcoming when we met them. They really wanted to talk about the art and were so excited about the whole project. Nobody at the reception was even remotely stuffy, they treated me like family. The artist even kissed my cheek when we were leaving which made me feel terribly sophisticated, indicating I'm not so sophisticated at all.

Close-ups of footprints and kooshball prints

I loved the film and wish I could share it with you. Several parts brought tears to my eyes, which is inappropriate because it was nothing but joyful. My personal favorite were the two older folks on hover rounds who were asked to drive over one of the canvasses. You should have seen the pleased look on their faces and they spun and swirled and reversed while sitting back comfortably in their motorized chairs. The hair lady was kind of weird. The break dancer was great.
Hover round Painting

Laura and me in front of the hair painting

Everyone who participated in the paintings at Coney looked so happy and you could also see that they were totally into the project even though they were just passing by. They all looked methodical as they spread paint around and you could tell they really cared about the outcome of this project. I imagine the warmth of the artists asking them to participate contributed.

Anyway I'm thrilled and if I had $5000 I'd be one painting richer tonight. I was completely charmed.

After the reception Laura took me to a bar she used to frequent when she was a student at NYU and we chatted over burgers and nachos. Its so great she lives in my neighborhood, we even got to ride the train home together.

No comments:

Post a Comment