Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Happy Christmas (War is Over)

Today was an amazing day.

First work: I made TWO package sales today and designed two customer's holiday cards for them. I did ok with the computer programs and such, and both customers seemed to be really happy after working with me. I also made a new friend at work. A girl named Noor, who I had not worked with before was in and she showed me a lot of the things I hadn't been trained to do yet. It was so helpful. Oh I almost forgot, I also coordinated a play date party this morning with preschoolers and we all painted picture frames together. It was pretty fun.

After work I met Laura and Pete at Columbus Circle and we walked up Central Park to Strawberry Fields to see what was going on there on the anniversary of John Lennon's death. There was a crowd of people gathered around the Imagine circle singing. It was absolutely amazing. Through patience and fortitude I managed to get all the way up to the circle and see all the things left there in memory of John and the faces of the people gathered around. I was so moved, especially when we all sang Imagine and Happy Christmas; War is Over. I could have stayed there all night, especially if I could have sat down, but Happy Christmas was so perfect and moving that I was crying and figured it was time to go and eat and let someone else get close to the center.




We walked down 5th Avenue to Rockefeller so Pete could see the tree and he bought some roasted cashews so I got to try some of those. Yum! Then we watched the skaters and then the Carol of the Bells snowflakes on Saks. Next Laura had a surprise. We walked over to Grand Central Station and waited to see what it was. At 8pm we were treated to a special laser light show. It was kind of weird. Laura had read about it on a list of 101 things to do in NY in the winter.

After that we went to a nearby pub for supper as we were all starving. Dinner was good but the best part was when two ladies sat down next to us for dessert and coffee. The waiter brought them a delicious looking slab of chocolate cake to share but they were both completely put off by how BIG the piece of cake was. They complained loudly to the waiter and then to us when he had gone about how ridiculously big this piece of cake was. Then they cut off a tiny sliver of of it and gave us the rest. YES! THANK YOU! We will eat some free chocolate cake. It was delicious.

Now we are home and I am getting ready for bed. I have a temp assignment tomorrow for a financial company. I do not like first days but temping is always an adventure. I hope I don't freeze in a skirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment