Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It Is Really Cold. No, REALLY.

Hello from the frigid north. Well north of a few things at least and definitely frigid. Since the new year I've just been hiding from the cold or working. Laura isn't back from the holidays yet and since Jake is recording with a new artist this week he hasn't made it up to see me yet. They'll both be here in a few days though and the house will be full full of friends and Laura's kids. I can't believe I've been home alone for over a week. I am not crazy about being home alone some of the time but my apartment is so nice and cozy with all my nice things in it, so really it isn't bad at all. Its warm and safe and I have tv and internet and food. I have my phone when I want to hear a voice and I'll even own up to a couple of stuffed animals in my room. I made a point of reaching out to a few people in town this week so I wouldn't just sit watching tv every evening. Last night I had a little happy hour in SoHo with Rachel after she got out of classes at culinary school. Tonight Sam, from funemployment, came out and we went down to 773 for another little happy hour. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have dinner with Laura DeWitt.

I'm nervous about work. We all got e mails that stated we needed to come in and have a private meeting with the owner. I know a lot of people (like me) were hired for the holidays and I'm worried I am going to be let go as a seasonal hire. I am certainly not indispensable as I rarely get camera time yet. At the same time I was at work today and nobody acted like I was a lame duck. We even got instructional e mails tonight about a new program rule and my boss used my name as the example for passwords. Evaluations and meetings always freak me out anyway. I like working there and I hope to get more photo experience but I guess if they let me go it will be ok too. I just hate the anticipation of this moment before my meeting tomorrow.

On a happier note: I got a care package from mom tonight! I had called her to ask her to check local stores for long underwear as I couldn't find any here. I never thought I'd wear long underwear for real. I thought it was reserved for grannies, farmers, lumberjacks and the mailman. Now I wear some every day. Most days the temperature is in the 20s with a 'feels like' wind chill in the single digits and although I do live close to the train I do have to walk some and work is drafty. Anyway mom got me two sets but she also sent three sweaters, hot packs for my back, tuna fish and best of all, metallic leopard leggings with a hand written note from mom that said 'Don't know if these would keep you warm but thought it was worth a try'. I laughed out loud and immediately put on the silver leopard leggings and sent mom a camera phone picture. Hilarious. My mom and my sister are so good to me. I miss them very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment