Sunday, January 24, 2010

Olympics and Baby Portraits - My Life in a Nutshell

Were you aware that I am crazy about the Olympics? If not then let me fill you in. I am crazy, absolutely mad for Olympics. All of them. Summer or Winter, team sports, individual sports, races, 'athalons', whatever. Seriously. Someone who didn't know this until last night was Rachel. She learned quick while we were watching movies at the theatre and the new Coke Vancouver Olympics ad came on before the previews. I gasped and grabbed her arm and when she said 'What the...?' I told her to look at my shirt. Only 18 days from now and I have full Olympics fever. Can't wait.

Otherwise I've been back at work after my illness. I've been doing lots of shoots, some great, some less good. Not all babies want to smile and there's just nothing my boss, the parents, the grandparents, the other people at work or I can do about it. No amount of A-CHOO!ing, BOOPBOOPBOOPing, or telephone ring/raspberry noises will change their little minds. Its rough at times and I feel a lot of pressure to get perfect breathtaking photos every time. That's why we don't charge for a sitting. Kids are unpredictable. All the same I've been selling plenty pictures too, some I absolutely loved and some I was sure the parents would hate. And no, I do not make a comission, but it doesn't bother me. There's a good deal of satisfaction in selling hundreds of dollars of your work, even if you only see your regular hourly wage at the end of the month. Somewhere in Manhattan right now a family has a picture I took framed on their wall. I know because I sold it and framed it myself. More than one time too.

I've been writing a lot in the studios blog so if you want to know more about where I work and what we do there feel free to read it. And if you know anybody in NYC or nearby with kids please send them our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment