Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pretty Fall Days in Brooklyn


Guess who's still unemployed! This girl! Haven't yet heard from Talbots but I sent my resume yesterday to a job posting for a general admin job and today I sent my resume and a cover letter to a really cool non-profit. Its an outreach program in Harlem that gets kids involved through baseball! I would really love to hear from them. Its a really exciting program and I'm sure I would really like the work and the environment. Also, benefits!

Sunday night Laura and I met her Peace Corps friends Molly, Mollie and Steph. We went to Union Square, near the NYU campus where the Mollies go to grad school. We got margaritas at Happy Hour price which was great until I dumped a whole one into my lap. Not fun and I had to sit in cold margarita-jeans for the rest of the night. Next we went to a really nice brewery called Heartland Brewery. They had Smiling Pumpkin Ale with a crazy faced man on the logo and other cool specialties. I got Berry Champagne Ale which was delicious and came in a pretty glass with fishnet stockinged legs all around it. We wished we could keep the glasses, although lord knows Laura and I need glasses the least at this time.

Yesterday was not too productive. I sent my resume to that one admin job and did some cleaning and dishes. Laura and I packed up our laundry in the rolly cart and headed to Courtelyou to try the other laundromat. It was much smaller than Mr Wash but more of the machines were working and there was at least one seat. Lots of interesting people watching too. We came back and had some vegetable stir fry over pasta and then watched some TV and went to bed.

Today we hung out a bit at the house. I applied for that job and then we walked up to the main branch of the Brooklyn Public Library. We decided to walk up the street a couple blocks over that backs up to the train tracks on the other side. We had noticed that one of the houses we can see from our windows has chickens in the back yard and we wondered what kind of neighborhood it was. Wowee. Every house on the street was a gorgeous Victorian mansion. So beautiful. We figured out that the one with chickens is one that looks a lot like Tara from Gone With the Wind from the front. Nice. It was beautiful weather and we had a nice walk up the park to get to the library. We got our library cards, picked out a few books each and then got on the subway to go and find Target!

It was nice to see familiar retail, silly as it sounds. We got some necessities for the apartment and then headed back here. We got off the train at another station and walked 13 blocks back to our street just to get a new look at part of the neighborhood. We saw a giant Sears store so now I know where one is, and a lot of duplexes. Some parts of it really reminded me of DC.

Now we are having some wine and we just tried out some Milli Vanilli dance moves. Next is Trivial Pursuit, making it a perfect Laura and Katy evening at home. This is what I'd always imagined we'd do.

Have I mentioned how much I'd like to get that non-profit job about kids and baseball?

No comments:

Post a Comment