Sunday, October 25, 2009

Shenanigans

Yesterday I slept late. After noon Laura went into Manhattan to meet our friend Tim from Roanoke, who was in town for a business trip.

I had to go to Manhattan too, to go to Wachovia and deposit my check from temping at Talbots last month. It was wet out but not yet raining when I left the house. Once I got to Chinatown though it was raining and the streets outside the Canal St subway stop were packed with shopping tourists. Yuck. I missed the memo because apparently Saturday is Official Walk-Four-Abreast day. Add to that Poke Your Fellow Man in the Eye with Your Umbrella Month and getting to the bank became a game of survival. I was getting cranky. I was also getting wet. I needed an umbrella and there wasn't going to be a better time to find one. The sidewalk stands sell them for over ten dollars but I fear those are too cheap to depend on and not worth my money. I looked last week at Target but they didn't have any nice ones either. I looked up TJ Maxx on my cell phone and found one on 6th Ave so I took the L train over there to find it. TJ Maxx had much more stuff than the ones at home. It also had more people and a checkout line longer than any I've ever waited in, including the DMV. There were over 15 checkout lines though so the line moved fast and I got a name brand umbrella for less than $10. Good thing because when I came out it was completely pouring.

I took the train home and soon after Laura came back from hanging out with Tim. He had a business dinner so we had our supper here and waited for him to be finished. We planned to go to Shenanigans, the bar in our neighborhood that our Irish friend Garry had recommended.

Tim got here around 11 and we walked over to Shenanigans. It was a little Irish pub in a neighborhood with not much else around. Inside the clientele was very hip and very enthusiastic about karaoke. Everyone was wearing glasses and Chuck Taylors and they all seemed to be friends. It was a great atmosphere and very low key. Garry bought us a round and a little while later a friend of Tim's met us there with her two roommates. She lives in our area and works at Picket Fence! We stayed at the bar until late watching karaoke. They gave us some Brooklyn pointers and we told them about the wonder that is Sheetz. It was a cultural exchange.

Here's our friend Garry with his Halloween teeth.

Today we slept late and when we got up decided to go out to Coney Island to see if the Wonder Wheel was running today. It was a beautiful day but when we got there there weren't even cars on the Wonder Wheel. Guess its closed down for the season. We got food at Nathan's Famous and then went to the Coney Island Museum, which only costs a dollar. After that we went for a walk on the boardwalk before coming home.






Now we are having tea and watching 60 Minutes in our cozy living room. Tomorrow Laura starts working a temp job at the Showtime Network and I have an appointment at the temp agency that got her that job. Hope I get one too!

To see more pictures of our weekend feel free to go to my Kodak Gallery. The link is in the upper right hand corner of my blog page.

No comments:

Post a Comment