Monday, February 1, 2010

We Are The World!

A couple of nights before the Hope For Haiti Now telethon and concert aired I commented to Laura that this would be an excellent time for the stars of today to come together and rerecord We Are The World. The lyrics to the song are completely applicable and I have been thinking for a while that its time we brought back the charity pop/rock collaboration anthem. So I was thrilled when I finally got up today and was greeted by a note on the bathroom mirror from Laura:

We Are The World for Haiti being released today :)

I remember when the first We Are The World music video came on TV when I was a little kid. I remember watching the whole thing and loving Michael Jackson and feeling so excited and I remember going to the dining room after and finding my dad's old pair of giant earphones by the hifi and putting them on, swaying and singing a chorus of the song, pretending to be one of the artists. I do not remember if this imaginary performance was private or if I did it for the benefit of mom too.

Today I've been watching the internet eager for updates on the artists and format of the new recording. I can't wait for the actual release and watching the video and reading the Wikipedia entry about the original I hope the new one has everything we love. I intend to buy the single and I hope it makes history just like the first one. I hope that it raises lots of money for Haiti and I hope it spurs a resurgance of the charity power anthem. I'm so excited!


2 comments:

  1. I just watched the video with goosebumps, tears in my eyes and a big smile on my face... reason 8 hundred million we are friends. Can't wait to hear the new version too! Love Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I just found out that they are premiering the video during the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. I might actually die on the spot of too much emotional involvement and sheer joy.

    ReplyDelete