Monday, February 1, 2010

Sunday: The New Friday

Everyone else's weekend is ending on this Sunday night, but my weekend begins now. I usually have Monday and Tuesday off and this week is the same. Weekdays off are fun and different than standard weekends. I get better tv, and its not as though work prevents me from going out on weekend nights if I like.

Friday evening I met up with Laura DeWitt and some teachers she used to work with at a bar and grill called Delta in midtown. The place was southern themed, with barbecue and gumbo and po'boys. It was pretty good although, don't go to NYC if you want to eat really good barbecue. I'm just saying. The company was great though and the atmosphere was fun.

Saturday morning I got up extra early to go to the Doctor in Harlem. Laura DeWitt met me for coffee at whole foods in Columbus Circle, which is where Trump Towers is. Whole Foods is a grocery store but this one was super fancy and had about a trillion different kinds of breakfast breads and a coffee bar and cafeteria seating off to one side. Then I went into work. I ended up doing three shoots!! First was a family with a 3 month old baby girl and a dog. We worked and worked but didn't get the greatest shots ever. Next was a couple with a little girl that they had been bringing in every month since she was born. They gave her lots of toys and it was a disorganized and distracting photo shoot with the parents shouting from every direction in the studio and not letting us manage things. I didn't finish this shoot because my boss called me out to come help edit the previous shoot and give me some pointers about getting better shots. It was really helpful to see what she was talking about. Third was a shoot with a sweet baby girl and her mom and dad. I got the best pictures of the day from them.

Last night Laura and I went to a party over at Sarah's. Her sister is moving in with her and it was a sort of housewarming/welcome for her. It was so bitterly cold out and I was tired of long underwear and jeans and sweaters so I decided that despite the freeze I was going to wear a cute dress. I wore regular tights, then socks up to my thighs, then a pair of boxer briefs on my bottoms. I wore a tank top, a slip, a long sleeved t-shirt, then the dress as my top. Then I wore a jacket and then my coat, hat, scarf and gloves. Then I put my hood up. I was still cold. It was fun though to wear an outfit for a change. Work is casual and some of the girls wear cute stuff but mostly I just wear the standard Katy dress and lately its the standard Katy three or four layers as it is always cold in the shop and on the walk to work. Anyway the party was fun and it was nice to go do something a little different.

Today I worked again. When I got to work they were having a huge birthday party for a one year old. The family of the birthday girl had hired a children's musician and while he performed in the studio my boss photographed the kids and their families and the reactions to the performer. Each child got to take home a print of themselves in a frame with their name on it. While they had cake etc they all watched a slide show of the photos from the performance. We have several different party packages, based on the age of the party people but this family pulled out all the stops, bringing bagels and coffee, cheese trays, a gorgeous cake and cupcakes for the baby guests. They had a catered meal too. Manhattan mom's crack me up because they all have beautiful cakes at their kids birthday parties but they don't let their kids eat cake, apparently even on special occasions. Unfortunately the family took all the leftovers with them when they left. All the leftovers except one bottle of wine they had opened. Oops. After that I got a $25 tip from helping with the party and the store pretty much cleaned out. Shannon and I finished out the day and the bottle of wine and it was kind of fun being in the store while it was quiet and having some wine.

Something awesome that also happened is that a woman from one of my good photo shoots last week came back. They had bought a pretty sizable package right after their shoot but she came back to the store to buy another $150 of extra prints. She loved them and was so happy with them and I am so happy with them and I'd had a little wine, but I just couldn't help but feel great about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment