Saturday, February 6, 2010

Zabar's

I can now say I have lived the Upper West Side Life: I've shopped at Zabar's. No I don't live on the Upper West Side, but I work there and have been learning a lot about UWS culture. For a reference point: think Seinfeld. Tonight after work I met Rachel and we had to go and get ink for the printer at the portrait studio. The plan was for Rachel to make me dinner (she is a student at the French Culinary Institute) at my apartment in Brooklyn. Since we were already off the Subway and weren't sure Met would be open when we got home we ended up going to Zabar's. Fancy! Expensive! Yikes! Rachel was running around like a kid in a candy store grabbing mushrooms, spices, pancetta, a whole chicken! We were both shocked when the total came up! Oops! So right now Rachel is cooking me a dinner that cannot be beat. Can't wait to taste it.

I've been hearing loads about the huge blizzard in Virginia and its making me so homesick. I can't even explain why. I'm just longing for that snowed-in nowhere to go feeling usually accompanied by, well, company! Not that I'm lonely, I just miss my family! And home friends! And boyfriend! I mean really!

Also some really bad news: I had my work hours cut back drastically and now will have to find a second job. Not my favorite. Nothing bad happened, they just don't need to have as many staff on at any given time now that the Holiday rush is over. I'm really sad as things were so good with my employment status, but I'm glad I still have the job and and scouting out opportunities of all kinds.

1 comment:

  1. Just learned about Zabar's from watching the Food Network. Looks like my kind of place. But I think maybe, probably, almost definitely not in my budget. Hope you enjoyed your delicious food.

    YIKES! Scary about the work situation!!! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you! Don't get discouraged. You found an awesome job once (well, twice if you count the temp place), you can do it again!!! I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete